The War State: The Cold War Origins Of The Military-Industrial Complex And The Power Elite [Audiobook]
03 May 2016, 16:28
2014 | M4B@64 kbps | 8 hrs 37 mins | 235.39MB
Today when you factor in the interest on the national debt from past wars and total defense expenditures the United States spends almost 40% of its federal budget on the military. It accounts for over 46% of total world arms spending.
Before World War II it spent almost nothing on defense and hardly anyone paid any income taxes. You can't have big wars without big government. Such big expenditures are now threatening to harm the national economy. How did this situation come to be?
In this book you'll learn how in the critical 20 years after World War II the United States changed from being a continental democratic republic to a global imperial superpower. Since then nothing has ever been the same again. In this book you will discover this secret history of the United States that formed the basis of the world we live in today.
You will discover:
- How the end of European colonialism created a power vacuum that the United States used to create a new type of world empire backed by the most powerful military force in human history.
- Why the Central Intelligence Agency was created and used to interfere in the internal affairs of other nations when the United States Constitution had no mechanism for such imperial activities.
- How national security bureaucrats got President Harry Truman to approve of a new wild budget busting arms race after World War II that is still going on to this day.
- Why President Eisenhower really gave his famous warning against the "military-industrial complex."
- Why during the Kennedy administration the nuclear arms race almost led to the end of the world during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- How President Kennedy tried to deal with what had grown into a "permanent government" of power elite national security bureaucrats in the executive branch of the federal government that had become more powerful than the individual president himself.
In this audiobook you will discover this secret history of the United States that formed the basis of the world we live in today.
All posts of category «Audiobooks History»