The Power of Fifty Bits [Audiobook]
29 March 2016, 17:02
2016 | MP3@64 kbps + EPUB | 5 hrs 24 mins | 148.78MB
Even with the very best of intentions, people often fail to make wise choices for themselves—whether for their health, their finances, or their business decisions. Yet it doesn’t have to be that way—thanks to the science behind fifty bits design, a set of principles that helps close the gap between intentions and actual behaviors.
Of the ten million bits of information our brains process each second, only fifty bits are devoted to conscious thought. This means that humans are wired for inattention and inertia, so we often choose without thinking and act against our own interests. Understanding this is the key to any behavior change, from increasing charitable donations to reducing unintended pregnancies.
As the former chief scientist of Express Scripts, a Fortune 25 health care company, Bob Nease is an expert on applying behavioral sciences to the health care industry. He realized that providing financial incentives and tools—an approach that assumes patients will act rationally—was not having the outcome that he expected. Instead, he had to reengineer patients’ environments in order for their natural inclinations to lead them to the best decisions. In a nod to the brain’s fundamental cognitive limitation, he called this approach “fifty bits design,” and now he applies his knowledge to the wider world, offering important, practical solutions that marketers, human resources professionals, teachers, and even parents can use to improve the behavior of others around them and get the positive results they want.
Nease offers a set of powerful and effective strategies for change:
- Require Choice: compel people to deliberately choose among options
- Lock In Good Intentions: allow people to make decisions today about choices they will face in the future
- Let It Ride: set the default to the desired option and let people opt out if they wish
- Get in the Flow: home in on where people’s attention is likely to go naturally
- Reframe the Choices: set the framework people use to consider options and choices
- Piggyback It: connect the desired choice or behavior with something people already like or are engaged in
- Simplify…Wisely: make the right choices frictionless and easy; make the wrong choices more difficult
The Power of Fifty Bits is the first how-to guide that provides step-by-step instructions for helping customers, employees, co-workers, and clients get the results they truly want.
All posts of category «Audiobooks Self-Help»