Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales [EPUB]
20 September 2017, 08:38
2017 | EPUB | ISBN: 9780877739746 | 0.78MB
Fairy tales seem to be innocent stories, yet they contain profound lessons for those who would dive deep into their waters of meaning. In this book, Marie-Louise von Franz uncovers some of the important lessons concealed in tales from around the world, drawing on the wealth of her knowledge of folklore, her experience as a psychoanalyst and a collaborator with Jung, and her great personal wisdom. Among the many topics discussed in relation to the dark side of life and human psychology, both individual and collective, are:
- How different aspects of the "shadow"—all the affects and attitudes that are unconscious to the ego personality—are personified in the giants and monsters, ghosts, and demons, evil kings and wicked witches of fairy tales
- How problems of the shadow manifest differently in men and women
- What fairy tales say about the kinds of behavior and attitudes that invite evil
- How Jung's technique of Active imagination can be used to overcome overwhelming negative emotions
- How ghost stories and superstitions reflect the psychology of grieving
- What fairy tales advise us about whether to struggle against evil or turn the other cheek
Dr. von Franz concludes that ever rule of behavior that we can learn from the unconscious through fairy tales and dreams is usually a paradox: sometimes there must be a physical struggle against evil and sometimes a contest of wits, sometimes a display of strength or magic and sometimes a retreat. Above all, she shows the importance of relying on the central, authentic core of our being—the innermost Self, which is beyond the struggle between the opposites of good and evil.
Everyday Narcissism: Yours, Mine, and Ours [EPUB]
20 September 2017, 07:26
2017 | EPUB | ISBN: 9781942094456 | 1.94MB
Narcissism, in all forms, is a belief that the world revolves around us, and that what happens in the world happens because of us. Most of us live with a form of narcissism so deeply embedded that we don't even know we have it. This "everyday narcissism" (EN) comes from a combination of childhood wounds and powerful myths we were taught as children. Everyday Narcissism helps readers understand how EN manifests in their own lives, and teaches them how to heal it. This awareness provides a foundation for creating greater happiness, more fulfilling relationships, less reactivity, and more meaning.
- An essential purchase for anyone having difficulty in a relationship, with a partner, coworker, family member, or other loved one.
- This is the first book for the general reader to specifically address everyday narcissism (EN).
- Features a Foreword by Anne Katherine, best-selling author of Boundaries and Where to Draw the Line.
The Future of Happiness: 5 Modern Strategies for Balancing Productivity and Well-Being in the Digital Era [EPUB]
17 September 2017, 06:47
2017 | EPUB | ISBN: 9781942952947 | 0.71/3.2MB
Technology, at least in theory, is improving our productivity, efficiency, and communication. The one thing it’s not doing is making us happier. We are experiencing historically high levels of depression and dissatisfaction.
But we can change that.
Knowing that technology is here to stay and will continue to evolve in form and function, we need to know how to navigate the future to achieve a better balance between technology, productivity, and well-being. Technology can drive—not diminish—human happiness.
In The Future of Happiness, author Amy Blankson, cofounder of the global positive psychology consulting firm GoodThink, unveils five strategies successful individuals can use, not just to survive—but actually thrive—in the Digital Age:
- Stay Grounded to focus your energy and increase productivity
- Know Thyself through app-driven data to strive toward your potential
- Train Your Brain to develop and sustain an optimistic mindset
- Create a Habitat for Happiness to maximize the spaces where you live, work, and learn
- Be a Conscious Innovator to help make the world a better place
By rethinking when, where, why, and how you use technology, you will not only influence your own well-being but also help shape the future of your community. Discover how technologies can transform the idea of “I’ll be happy when . . .” to being happy now.