Developer, Advocate!: Conversations on turning a passion for talking about tech into a career [EPUB]
15 November 2019, 17:16
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 978-1789138740 | 28.67MB
A collection of in-depth conversations with leading developer advocates that reveal the world of developer relations today
- Top developer advocates reveal the work they're doing at the center of their tech communities and the impact their advocacy is having on the tech industry as a whole
- Discover the best practices of developer advocacy and get the inside story on working at some of the world's largest tech companies
- Features contributions from noted developer advocates, including Scott Hanselman, Sally Eaves, Venkat Subramaniam, Jono Bacon, Ted Neward, and more
These are just a few of the questions addressed by developer advocate and author Geertjan Wielenga in Developer, Advocate!. 32 of the industry's most prominent developer advocates, from companies including Oracle, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon, open up about what it's like to turn a lifelong passion for knowledge sharing about tech into a rewarding career. These advocates run the gamut from working at large software vendors to small start-ups, along with independent developer advocates who work within organizations or for themselves.
In Developer, Advocate!, readers will see how developer advocates are actively changing the world, not only for developers, but for individuals and companies navigating the fast-changing tech landscape. More importantly, Developer, Advocate! serves as a rallying cry to inspire and motivate tech enthusiasts and burgeoning developer advocates to get started and take their first steps within their tech community.
What you will learn
- Discover how developer advocates are putting developer interests at the heart of the software industry in companies including Microsoft and Google
- Gain the confidence to use your voice in the tech community
- Immerse yourself in developer advocacy techniques
- Understand and overcome the challenges and obstacles facing developer advocates today
- Hear predictions from the people at the cutting edge of tech
- Explore your career options in developer advocacy
Who this book is for
Anybody interested in developer advocacy, the impact it is having, and how to build developer advocacy capabilities
Practical Deep Learning for Cloud, Mobile, and Edge [EPUB]
15 November 2019, 17:15
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 9781492034865 | 132.36MB
Whether you’re a software engineer aspiring to enter the world of deep learning, a veteran data scientist, or a hobbyist with a simple dream of making the next viral AI app, you might have wondered where to begin. This step-by-step guide teaches you how to build practical deep learning applications for the cloud, mobile, browsers, and edge devices using a hands-on approach.
Relying on years of industry experience transforming deep learning research into award-winning applications, Anirudh Koul, Siddha Ganju, and Meher Kasam guide you through the process of converting an idea into something that people in the real world can use.
- Train, tune, and deploy computer vision models with Keras, TensorFlow, Core ML, and TensorFlow Lite
- Develop AI for a range of devices including Raspberry Pi, Jetson Nano, and Google Coral
- Explore fun projects, from Silicon Valley’s Not Hotdog app to 40+ industry case studies
- Simulate an autonomous car in a video game environment and build a miniature version with reinforcement learning
- Use transfer learning to train models in minutes
- Discover 50+ practical tips for maximizing model accuracy and speed, debugging, and scaling to millions of users
Raspberry Pi Cookbook: Software and Hardware Problems and Solutions, 3rd Edition [EPUB]
15 November 2019, 17:13
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 9781492043225 | 47.89MB
With millions of new users and several new models, the Raspberry Pi ecosystem continues to expand—along with many new questions about the Pi’s capabilities. The third edition of this popular cookbook provides more than 200 hands-on recipes that show you how to run this tiny low-cost computer with Linux; program it with Python; hook it up to sensors, motors, and Arduino boards; and even use it with the internet of things (IoT).
Prolific hacker and author Simon Monk also teaches basic principles to help you use new technologies with the Raspberry Pi. This cookbook is ideal for programmers and hobbyists familiar with the Pi through resources such as Getting Started with Raspberry Pi (O’Reilly). Code examples from the book are available on GitHub.
- Set up your Raspberry Pi and connect to a network
- Work with its Linux-based operating system
- Program your Raspberry Pi with Python
- Give your Pi "eyes" with computer vision
- Control hardware through the GPIO connector
- Use your Raspberry Pi to run different types of motors
- Work with switches, keypads, and other digital inputs
- Use sensors to measure temperature, light, and distance
- Connect to IoT devices in various ways and automate your home
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners, 2nd Edition [EPUB]
13 November 2019, 10:43
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 9781593279929 | 23.95MB
The second edition of this best-selling Python book (100,000+ copies sold in print alone) uses Python 3 to teach even the technically uninclined how to write programs that do in minutes what would take hours to do by hand. There is no prior programming experience required and the book is loved by liberal arts majors and geeks alike.
If you've ever spent hours renaming files or updating hundreds of spreadsheet cells, you know how tedious tasks like these can be. But what if you could have your computer do them for you?
In this fully revised second edition of the best-selling classic Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, you'll learn how to use Python to write programs that do in minutes what would take you hours to do by hand--no prior programming experience required. You'll learn the basics Python and explore Python's rich library of modules for performing specific tasks, like scraping data off websites, reading PDF and Word documents, and automating clicking and typing tasks.
The second edition of this international fan favorite includes a brand-new chapter on input validation, as well as tutorials on automating Gmail and Google Sheets, plus tips on automatically updating CSV files. You'll learn how to create programs that effortlessly perform useful feats of automation to:
- Search for text in a file or across multiple files
- Create, update, move, and rename files and folders
- Search the Web and download online content
- Update and format data in Excel spreadsheets of any size
- Split, merge, watermark, and encrypt PDFs
- Send email responses and text notifications
- Fill out online forms
Step-by-step instructions walk you through each program, and updated practice projects at the end of each chapter challenge you to improve those programs and use your newfound skills to automate similar tasks.
Don't spend your time doing work a well-trained monkey could do. Even if you've never written a line of code, you can make your computer do the grunt work. Learn how in Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, 2nd Edition.
Cybersecurity: The Beginner's Guide [EPUB]
11 August 2019, 14:54
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 1789616190 | 29.7MB
Understand the nitty-gritty of Cybersecurity with ease
- Align your security knowledge with industry leading concepts and tools
- Acquire required skills and certifications to survive the ever changing market needs
- Learn from industry experts to analyse, implement, and maintain a robust environment
It's not a secret that there is a huge talent gap in the cybersecurity industry. Everyone is talking about it including the prestigious Forbes Magazine, Tech Republic, CSO Online, DarkReading, and SC Magazine, among many others. Additionally, Fortune CEO's like Satya Nadella, McAfee's CEO Chris Young, Cisco's CIO Colin Seward along with organizations like ISSA, research firms like Gartner too shine light on it from time to time.
This book put together all the possible information with regards to cybersecurity, why you should choose it, the need for cyber security and how can you be part of it and fill the cybersecurity talent gap bit by bit. Starting with the essential understanding of security and its needs, we will move to security domain changes and how artificial intelligence and machine learning are helping to secure systems. Later, this book will walk you through all the skills and tools that everyone who wants to work as security personal need to be aware of. Then, this book will teach readers how to think like an attacker and explore some advanced security methodologies. Lastly, this book will deep dive into how to build practice labs, explore real-world use cases and get acquainted with various cybersecurity certifications.
By the end of this book, readers will be well-versed with the security domain and will be capable of making the right choices in the cybersecurity field.
What you will learn
- Get an overview of what cybersecurity is and learn about the various faces of cybersecurity as well as identify domain that suits you best
- Plan your transition into cybersecurity in an efficient and effective way
- Learn how to build upon your existing skills and experience in order to prepare for your career in cybersecurity
Who this book is for
This book is targeted to any IT professional who is looking to venture in to the world cyber attacks and threats. Anyone with some understanding or IT infrastructure workflow will benefit from this book. Cybersecurity experts interested in enhancing their skill set will also find this book useful.
The Secret Life of Programs: Understand Computers — Craft Better Code [EPUB]
09 August 2019, 06:32
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 1593279701 | 42.28MB
A primer on the underlying technologies that allow computer programs to work. Covers topics like computer hardware, combinatorial logic, sequential logic, computer architecture, computer anatomy, and Input/Output.
Many coders are unfamiliar with the underlying technologies that make their programs run. But why should you care when your code appears to work? Because you want it to run well and not be riddled with hard-to-find bugs. You don't want to be in the news because your code had a security problem.
Lots of technical detail is available online but it's not organized or collected into a convenient place. In The Secret Life of Programs, veteran engineer Jonathan E. Steinhart explores--in depth--the foundational concepts that underlie the machine. Subjects like computer hardware, how software behaves on hardware, as well as how people have solved problems using technology over time.
- How the real world is converted into a form that computers understand, like bits, logic, numbers, text, and colors
- The fundamental building blocks that make up a computer including logic gates, adders, decoders, registers, and memory
- Why designing programs to match computer hardware, especially memory, improves performance
- How programs are converted into machine language that computers understand
- How software building blocks are combined to create programs like web browsers
- Clever tricks for making programs more efficient, like loop invariance, strength reduction, and recursive subdivision
- The fundamentals of computer security and machine intelligence
- Project design, documentation, scheduling, portability, maintenance, and other practical programming realities.
Learn what really happens when your code runs on the machine and you'll learn to craft better, more efficient code.
Learn Java 12 Programming [EPUB]
26 June 2019, 13:28
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 1789957052 | 14.0MB
A comprehensive guide to get started with Java and gain insights into major concepts such as object-oriented, functional, and reactive programming
- Strengthen your knowledge of important programming concepts and the latest features in Java
- Explore core programming topics including GUI programming, concurrency, and error handling
- Learn the idioms and best practices for writing high-quality Java code
Java is one of the preferred languages among developers, used in everything right from smartphones, and game consoles to even supercomputers, and its new features simply add to the richness of the language. This book on Java programming begins by helping you learn how to install the Java Development Kit. You will then focus on understanding object-oriented programming (OOP), with exclusive insights into concepts like abstraction, encapsulation, inheritance, and polymorphism, which will help you when programming for real-world apps. Next, you'll cover fundamental programming structures of Java such as data structures and algorithms that will serve as the building blocks for your apps. You will also delve into core programming topics that will assist you with error handling, debugging, and testing your apps. As you progress, you'll move on to advanced topics such as Java libraries, database management, and network programming, which will hone your skills in building professional-grade apps.
Further on, you'll understand how to create a graphic user interface using JavaFX and learn to build scalable apps by taking advantage of reactive and functional programming.
By the end of this book, you'll not only be well versed with Java 10, 11, and 12, but also gain a perspective into the future of this language and software development in general.
What you will learn
- Learn and apply object-oriented principles
- Gain insights into data structures and understand how they are used in Java
- Explore multithreaded, asynchronous, functional, and reactive programming
- Add a user-friendly graphic interface to your application
- Find out what streams are and how they can help in data processing
- Discover the importance of microservices and use them to make your apps robust and scalable
- Explore Java design patterns and best practices to solve everyday problems
- Learn techniques and idioms for writing high-quality Java code
Who this book is for
Students, software developers, or anyone looking to learn new skills or even a language will find this book useful. Although this book is for beginners, professional programmers can benefit from it too. Previous knowledge of Java or any programming language is not required.
Expert Python Programming, 3rd Edition [EPUB]
26 June 2019, 13:26
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 1789808898 | 3.38MB
Refine your Python programming skills and build professional grade applications with this comprehensive guide
- Create manageable code that can run in various environments with different sets of dependencies
- Implement effective Python data structures and algorithms to write optimized code
- Discover the exciting new features of Python 3.7
Python is a dynamic programming language that's used in a wide range of domains thanks to its simple yet powerful nature. Although writing Python code is easy, making it readable, reusable, and easy to maintain is challenging. Complete with best practices, useful tools, and standards implemented by professional Python developers, the third edition of Expert Python Programming will help you overcome this challenge.
The book will start by taking you through the new features in Python 3.7. You'll then learn the advanced components of Python syntax, in addition to understanding how to apply concepts of various programming paradigms, including object-oriented programming, functional programming, and event-driven programming. This book will also guide you through learning the best naming practices, writing your own distributable Python packages, and getting up to speed with automated ways of deploying your software on remote servers. You'll discover how to create useful Python extensions with C, C++, Cython, and CFFI. Furthermore, studying about code management tools, writing clear documentation, and exploring test-driven development will help you write clean code.
By the end of the book, you will have become an expert in writing efficient and maintainable Python code.
What you will learn
- Explore modern ways of setting up repeatable and consistent development environments
- Package Python code effectively for community and production use
- Learn modern syntax elements of Python programming such as f-strings, enums, and lambda functions
- Demystify metaprogramming in Python with metaclasses
- Write concurrent code in Python
- Extend Python with code written in different languages
- Integrate Python with code written in different languages
Who this book is for
This book will appeal to you if you're a programmer looking to take your Python knowledge to the next level by writing efficient code and learning the latest features of version 3.7 and above.
Hands-On Linux for Architects [EPUB]
26 June 2019, 13:24
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 1789534100 | 19.96MB
Explore practical use cases to learn everything from Linux components, and functionalities, through to hardware and software support
- Gain a clear understanding of how to design a Linux environment
- Learn more about the architecture of the modern Linux operating system(OS)
- Understand infrastructure needs and design a high-performing computing environment
It is very important to understand the flexibility of an infrastructure when designing an efficient environment. In this book, you will cover everything from Linux components and functionalities through to hardware and software support, which will help you to implement and tune effective Linux-based solutions.
This book gets started with an overview of Linux design methodology. Next, you will focus on the core concepts of designing a solution. As you progress, you will gain insights into the kinds of decisions you need to make when deploying a high-performance solution using Gluster File System (GlusterFS). In the next set of chapters, the book will guide you through the technique of using Kubernetes as an orchestrator for deploying and managing containerized applications. In addition to this, you will learn how to apply and configure Kubernetes for your NGINX application. You’ll then learn how to implement an ELK stack, which is composed of Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana. In the concluding chapters, you will focus on installing and configuring a Saltstack solution to manage different Linux distributions, and explore a variety of design best practices. By the end of this book, you will be well-versed with designing a high-performing computing environment for complex applications to run on.
By the end of the book, you will have delved inside the most detailed technical conditions of designing a solution, and you will have also dissected every aspect in detail in order to implement and tune open source Linux-based solutions
What you will learn
- Study the basics of infrastructure design and the steps involved
- Expand your current design portfolio with Linux-based solutions
- Discover open source software-based solutions to optimize your architecture
- Understand the role of high availability and fault tolerance in a resilient design
- Identify the role of containers and how they improve your continuous integration and continuous deployment pipelines
- Gain insights into optimizing and making resilient and highly available designs by applying industry best practices
Who this book is for
This intermediate-level book is for Linux system administrators, Linux support engineers, DevOps engineers, Linux consultants or any open source technology professional looking to learn or expand their knowledge in architecting, designing and implementing solutions based on Linux and open source software. Prior experience in Linux is required.
Complete Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Development with Unity [EPUB]
26 June 2019, 13:22
2019 | EPUB | ISBN: 1838648186 | 45.89MB
Get close and comfortable with Unity and build applications that run on HoloLens, Daydream, and Oculus Rift
- Build fun augmented reality applications using ARKit, ARCore, and Vuforia
- Explore virtual reality by developing more than 10 engaging projects
- Learn how to integrate AR and VR concepts together in a single application
Unity is the leading platform to develop mixed reality experiences because it provides a great pipeline for working with 3D assets.
Using a practical and project-based approach, this Learning Path educates you about the specifics of AR and VR development using Unity 2018 and Unity 3D. You’ll learn to integrate, animate, and overlay 3D objects on your camera feed, before moving on to implement sensor-based AR applications. You’ll explore various concepts by creating an AR application using Vuforia for both macOS and Windows for Android and iOS devices. Next, you’ll learn how to develop VR applications that can be experienced with devices, such as Oculus and Vive. You’ll also explore various tools for VR development: gaze-based versus hand controller input, world space UI canvases, locomotion and teleportation, timeline animation, and multiplayer networking.
You’ll learn the Unity 3D game engine via the interactive Unity Editor and C# programming.
By the end of this Learning Path, you’ll be fully equipped to develop rich, interactive mixed reality experiences using Unity.
This Learning Path includes content from the following Packt products:
- Unity Virtual Reality Projects - Second Edition by Jonathan Linowes
- Unity 2018 Augmented Reality Projects by Jesse Glover
- What you will learn
- Create 3D scenes to learn about world space and scale
- Move around your scenes using locomotion and teleportation
- Create filters or overlays that work with facial recognition software
- Interact with virtual objects using eye gaze, hand controllers, and user input events
- Design and build a VR storytelling animation with a soundtrack and timelines
- Create social VR experiences with Unity networking
Who this book is for
If you are a game developer familiar with 3D computer graphics and interested in building your own AR and VR games or applications, then this Learning Path is for you. Any prior experience in Unity and C# will be an advantage. In all, this course teaches you the tools and techniques to develop engaging mixed reality applications.