Growing Roses in Cold Climates [Revised and Updated Edition]
17 June 2013, 13:36
2012 | PDF | 21.58MB
This thoroughly updated edition of the landmark volume Growing Roses in Cold Climates includes:
- Accessible information on 875 varieties of roses best suited to cold climates
- New methods for protecting roses in winter
- Hundreds of new rose introductions, including disease-resistant and hardy varieties
- Five-star ratings to help you select top-performing roses
In addition to describing both organic and inorganic solutions to common rose problems, this volume also profiles twelve major classes of roses, complete with photographs and step-by-step guidelines on achieving ideal growing conditions.
The Home Orchard Handbook
14 June 2013, 10:30
2011 | EPUB | 29.08MB
Crisp apples, tart lemons, lush figs, tender peachesóimagine the bounty of a late-summer farmerís market, right in your backyard! Learning how to plant and care for fruit trees is a desirable, accessible activity for a wide range of people. Itís a natural extension of many gardenersí repertoires, and the investment yields generations of results. Growing your own fruit ensures a fresh, delicious, abundant harvest for your family and friends for years to come. Fruit trees diversify a regionís agricultural landscape and ecosystems, attracting pollinating bees, songbirds, and other desirable visitors. And cultivating orchards on your own decreases your reliance on grocery store distribution channels and boosts sustainability.
Inside The Home Orchard Handbook, you'll find:
- Strategies for choosing your orchard's site, taking into consideration soil quality, sun exposure, microclimates, drainage, and more
- Information on plant selection, including what types of fruit trees do well in certain areas and how to decipher critical concepts such as "chill hours," "cultivars," "bareroot," and "cross-pollination"
- Guidance on aftercare, including in-depth watering, composting, and preventative care schedules to keep your backyard orchard fruitful for years
- Advice on troubleshooting diseases, conditions, and non-beneficial insects using only humane, organic remedies
- General tips on jamming, dehydrating, storing, and otherwise making the most of your orchardís harvest with delicious recipes from chefs Tal Ronnen and Diana Stobo
Start growing your own fruit trees wherever you are with The Home Orchard Handbook!
Black & Decker The Complete Guide to Contemporary Sheds
14 June 2013, 10:22
2008 | PDF | 114.3MB
A modern guide to classic outdoor structures.
Sheds and other landscape shelters have never been out of style, but they are now seeing a remarkable surge in popularity, and are being used in creative new ways. The common garden shed is now just as likely to serve as a workshop for an artist to pursue his or her hobby; or may be used as a writer∆s retreat; or may even be equipped with a satellite dish, high definition television, recliners, and used as a meeting spot for Sunday afternoon football parties. In many parts of the country, spacious sheds are being fully appointed with furnishings and used as detached rooms for everyday living or as backyard offices.
This book offers readers fuel for their aspirations but also provides practical information for planning and building sheds of all types. Although the basics of stick-building are covered, the book focuses more on the most common consumer option: ordering and buying a kit shed, working from blueprint plans, and customizing the shed to individual needs.
- Features a planning and design section to help readers create unique shed projects
- General technique chapter provides an in-depth overview of each step in shed construction
- Includes easy-to-follow plans and directions for 12 sheds covering all design options
- Bonus appendix includes a dozen advanced shed plans that can be special-ordered
- More than three times as many complete plans than any other sheds book