The Nature of Money [EPUB]
28 October 2014, 08:17
2013 | EPUB | 0.5MB
In this important book, Geoffrey Ingham draws on neglected traditions in the social sciences to develop a theory of the ‘social relation’ of money.
- Genuinely multidisciplinary approach, based on a thorough knowledge of theories of money in the social sciences
- An original development of the neglected heterodox theories of money
- New histories of the origins and development of forms of money and their social relations of production in different monetary systems
- A radical interpretation of capitalism as a particular type of monetary system and the first sociological outline of the institutional structure of the social production of capitalist money
- A radical critique of recent writing on global e-money, the so-called ‘end of money’, and new monetary spaces such as the euro.
Understanding Bitcoin [PDF]
27 October 2014, 08:21
2014 | PDF | 5.16MB
Discover Bitcoin, the cryptocurrency that has the finance world buzzing
Bitcoin is arguably one of the biggest developments in finance since the advent of fiat currency. With Understanding Bitcoin, expert author Pedro Franco provides finance professionals with a complete technical guide and resource to the cryptography, engineering and economic development of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. This comprehensive, yet accessible work fully explores the supporting economic realities and technological advances of Bitcoin, and presents positive and negative arguments from various economic schools regarding its continued viability.
This authoritative text provides a step-by-step description of how Bitcoin works, starting with public key cryptography and moving on to explain transaction processing, the blockchain and mining technologies. This vital resource reviews Bitcoin from the broader perspective of digital currencies and explores historical attempts at cryptographic currencies. Bitcoin is, after all, not just a digital currency; it's a modern approach to the secure transfer of value using cryptography. This book is a detailed guide to what it is, how it works, and how it just may jumpstart a change in the way digital value changes hands.
- Understand how Bitcoin works, and the technology behind it
- Delve into the economics of Bitcoin, and its impact on the financial industry
- Discover alt-coins and other available cryptocurrencies
- Explore the ideas behind Bitcoin 2.0 technologies
- Learn transaction protocols, micropayment channels, atomic cross-chain trading, and more
Bitcoin challenges the basic assumption under which the current financial system rests: that currencies are issued by central governments, and their supply is managed by central banks. To fully understand this revolutionary technology, Understanding Bitcoin is a uniquely complete, reader-friendly guide.
Central Banking [PDF]
27 October 2014, 07:36
2014 | PDF | 2.49MB
Understand the theories and interpret the actions of modern central banks
Central Banking takes a comprehensive look at the topic of central banking, and provides readers with an understanding and insights into the roles and functions of modern central banks in advanced as well as emerging economies, theories behind their thinking, and actual operations practices. The book takes a systematic approach to the topic, while providing an accessible format and style that is appropriate for general audiences and students with only a minimal macroeconomic background. Theoretical reviews and examples of how the theories are applied in practice are presented in an easy-to-understand manner and serve as a guide for readers to further investigate specific ancillary central banking topics and as a means to make informed judgments about central bank actions. Important topics covered in the book include:
- Evolution of central banking functions and the international monetary system
- Theoretical backgrounds that are the foundation to the modern practice of monetary policy
- Monetary policy regimes, including exchange rate targeting, money supply growth targeting, the risk management approach, inflation targeting, and unconventional monetary policy.
- Actual practice in market operations and transmission mechanisms of monetary policy
- The exchange rate and central banking
- Theoretical backgrounds related to various dimensions of financial stability
- Current developments with regards to sustaining financial stability
- The future of central banking in the wake of the 2007-2010 global financial crisis
- Case studies on relevant practical issues and key concepts in central banking
Designed as essential reading for students, market analysts, investors, and central banks' new recruits, Central Banking better positions readers to interpret the actions of central banks and to understand the complexities of their position in the global financial arena.