Bridges and Tunnels: Investigate Feats of Engineering [EPUB]
04 January 2014, 14:59
2012 | EPUB | 4.48MB
Bridges and tunnels are lifelines
People have tackled seemingly insurmountable obstacles, including vast canyons and mountain ranges, to design and construct these amazing passageways. Bridges and Tunnels: Investigate Feats of Engineering invites children ages 9 and up to explore the innovation and physical science behind structures our world depends on.
Trivia and fun facts illustrate engineering ingenuity and achievements. Activities and projects encourage children to learn about the engineering process and to embrace trial and error. Children will engage in a hands-on exploration of Newton’s Third Law of Motion and of forces that push and pull on structures. They'll make an egg bungee jump and a soda pop can engine. They'll experiment with a triangular toothpick dome, liquefaction, and corrosion. In Bridges and Tunnels: Investigate Feats of Engineering, children will explore their own engineering and building skills as they create several bridge models.
30 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do Before Turning 30 [EPUB]
29 December 2013, 18:00
2003 | EPUB + MOBI | 1/1.15MB
You’re old enough to own property and have a family, but can you safely open a bottle of champagne? Or change a flat tire? 30 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do Before Turning 30 provides idiot-proof instructions for mastering these and other essential, face-saving, and possibly life-saving skills.
You’ll learn how to...
- wrap a present
- start a successful fire in a fireplace, at a campsite, and in a barbecue
- finish a piece of furniture
- get a raise
- order wine at a restaurant without getting stiffed
- parallel park in three breathtakingly beautiful movements
- dance a “slow dance” without looking like an idiot
- use a full place setting properly, including chopsticks and Asian soup spoons
- clean your place in under 45 minutes, when friends, relatives, or prospective lovers are coming by unexpectedly, and soon
- hold your liquor
- cure a hangover
- do the Heimlich Maneuver
- use a compass
- change a flat
- jump start a car
- open a champagne bottle
- send a drink to someone’s table
- cook one “signature meal”
- whistle with your fingers
- take good pictures
- fold a fitted sheet
- remove common stains
- sew a button
- carve turkey, lasagna, and birthday cake
- hold a baby
- change a diaper
- keep a plant alive for more than a year
- make dogs and cats love you
- help someone (an older or ill person, a woman you’re trying to impress, your mother) out of a car
- write superior thank you notes
Tiles Gone Wild [EPUB]
28 December 2013, 10:48
2008 | EPUB + MOBI | 8.62/8.73MB
Mixed Media Meets Mosaics
If you think only "ceramic tile" when you think "mosaic," think again - and prepare for Tiles Gone Wild to open your mind to a world of mixed-media possibilities! In this follow-up to the best-selling Wild Tiles, mosaic artist Chrissie Grace offers up twenty new projects featuring unexpected materials - from paper to bottle caps, stained glass to handmade clay tiles - combined in her trademark whimsical style.
Take a walk on the wild side as step-by-step instructions teach you how to:
- Tile on unusual surfaces like PVC pipes and brick pavers.
- Customize your work by using photo editing software to design tile portraits.
- Create fun and functional pieces for your home, as well as funky display pieces for your patio or garden.
- Combine mosaic and mixed-media techniques to take your creations to a whole new level.
Let Tiles Gone Wild inspire you to try a fresh approach to mosaics - and let your creativity run wild!