Encyclopedia of Ancient Literature [PDF]
03 November 2017, 08:16
2008 | PDF | ISBN: 9780816064755 | 7.45MB
This A-Z reference provides an extensive overview of ancient literary works, writers and concepts, covering the period from the 'beginning' to approximately 500 CE. The encyclopedia covers a wide range of cultures, including Rome, Greece, China, Japan, Egypt, Babylonia, India, Persia, and the Hebrew World.
- Writers, such as Aeschylus, Aesop, Aristophanes. Aristotle. Julius Caesar, Cicero. Confucius, Demosthenes. Euclid, Flavius Josephus, Hammurabi. Herodotus, Homer, Horace, Menander, Plato, Princess Nukata, Sappho, Sia Qian, Sophocles. Thucydides, Virgil, Yamanoue no Okura, Zoroaster, and more
- Famous works, such as the Aeneid, Antigone, the Egyption Book of the Dead, the Epic of Gilgamesh, Hebrew Bible, The History of the Peloponnesian War, the Iliad, Medea, Metamorphoses, the Nart Sagas, the New Testament, the Odyssey, The Oresteia, Ramayana, Rig-Veda. Trojan Women, and more
- Literary and historical terms, such as alphabet, hubris, epic, quipu, Rosetta Stone, and more.
Soviet Heroic Poetry in Context: Folklore or Fakelore [EPUB]
24 October 2017, 08:49
2013 | EPUB | ISBN: 9781611494563 | 2.25MB
Soviet Heroic Poetry in Context discusses key issues surrounding the composition and recording of folklore as well as its often intensely political aspect and its preoccupation with chimerical cultural authority. These issues are dramatically displayed in Soviet epic compositions of the 1930s and 1940s, the so-called noviny (“new songs”), which took their formal inspiration largely from traditional Russian epic songs, byliny (“songs of the past”), and their narrative content from contemporary, political, and other events in Stalinist Russia.
The story of the noviny is at once complex and comprehensible. While it may be tempting to interpret the excrescences of Stalinism as unique aberrations, the reality was often more complicated. The noviny were not simply the result of political fiat, an episode in an ideological vacuum. Their emergence occurred in part because of specific trends and controversies that marked European folklore collection and publication from at least the late eighteenth century on, as well as developments in Russian folkloristics from the mid-nineteenth century on that assumed exaggerated proportions. The demise of the noviny was equally mediated by a host of political and theoretical considerations. This study tells the story of the rise and fall of the noviny in all its cultural richness and pathos, an instructive tale of the interaction of aesthetics and ideology.
501 Spanish Verbs, 8th Edition [EPUB]
23 October 2017, 08:13
2017 | EPUB | ISBN: 9781438009162 | 2.62MB
The world’s bestselling Spanish verbs reference book has just gotten better!
The authors focus directly on a command of Spanish verbs―and fluency in Spanish starts with knowledge of verbs. This new eighth edition shows students and travelers exactly how to use the 501 most common and useful Spanish verbs in all 15 tenses and moods. Each verb is alphabetically listed in easy-to-follow chart form, one verb per page with its English translation.
Bonus Online Component: includes a link to online content that presents language-learning aids and audio files that review the formation and usage of Spanish verb forms.
Helpful features include―
- Formation and usage of Spanish verb tenses and moods summarized as they relate to their English equivalents
- The 55 most essential Spanish verbs used in context
- Another 2,200 regular verbs conjugated like the book’s 501 model verbs
- Verbs in idiomatic phrases
- Passive and active voice formations
- Updated sentences demonstrating Spanish verb usage in all tenses
- Exercises in Spanish verb usage with answers
- Even more entries in the English-Spanish verb index
- Information covering impersonal verbs, weather expressions, and more